As the holidays approach, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to eat right? What about a regular fitness schedule?”
At Farrell’s, we equip you with the tools to remain on track. Concentrating on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your long-term goals.
You can start building healthy habits now by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB Albertville. Here are a few other tips to help you navigate the approaching season while still going after your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Tackle your workout right away in the morning if your schedule allows it. The last few months of the year are jam-packed, but it’s better to cross your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up tomorrow.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days beforehand, instead of making bad decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning nearly effortless. Contact us to get your copy.
If you’re eating at a restaurant during the weekend, change your meals on weekdays to keep your nutrition as balanced as possible.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of a daily meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-rich salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s an easy brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Stir in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Put the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully underwater. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to uniformly distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before cooking it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you want it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to make your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the whole packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Grab your favorite blanket, find a comfortable spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is refreshing and helps you remain healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help sleeping, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest soundly and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not a loud phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Don’t forget to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a dinner with friends
- Lower your weekday stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Take a break when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to get going on making healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s Albertville, we’ll teach you about nutrition, exercise and more. Get started now by claiming your free week of classes with us.